Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Scoutmaster Build

Personal Fitness Merit Badge

There is an old joke in Scouting about the "Scoutmaster build".

Older guy, gut hanging over his belt.  Participating in activities that make his family and doctor cringe, like backpacking, swimming in the lake, or 5 mile hike.

This applies unfortunately to a lot of us.  So this year, I've decided to do something about it.  I have no desire to be the 49 year-old guy who drops dead during summer camp, or while backpacking with my Scouts or family.

No desire at all.

So this is the season to get off my backside and get moving.

According to the Boy Scouts of America's Annual Health and Medical Record, I should come in at a maximum weight of 239 pounds.

At that weight, I'm considered healthy enough (weight-wise) to participate in extensive and difficult high adventure activities.

But the biggest reason?  My wife and kids deserve to have me around for a long time.

Well, that's how they feel most of the time.

100 Days Strong

For the next 100 days I'm going to track what I'm doing to meet my goal of 239 pounds in 100 days.  It will take a lot of effort, and is probably too ambitious.  But I won't know until I try.

Exercise, food, websites, tools, equipment...whatever crosses my path on the way to enjoying my second half-century as much as the first.

Join me--maybe you have a "Scoutmaster build" of your own to wrestle.  Blog your efforts and tweet them with the #100DaysStrong hashtag so we can follow along on your efforts.

Thanks for making the commitment to make a difference in your life and the lives of others who depend on you.  In 100 days, that will include me, too.

Tomorrow is weigh-in day.

No comments:

Post a Comment