Sunday, May 22, 2011

100 Days Strong--Day 4 Eating on the Road

Day 4

Those of you associated with the Boy Scouts will recognize this image of the Cooking Merit Badge.

With this badge, we try to teach young men how to prepare foods that are healthy, tasty and worth the trouble to cook!  Sure it may be prepared over a campfire, pulled from a backpack on the trail, or grabbed at McDonalds on the way home...but at their age, they can just about eat anything and their body will forgive them.

Not so much with the rest of us.

I just returned from a weekend of camping with the boys, and it involved being a tourist at several local spots with tons of shuttling back and forth between sites.  Very busy, and not much time to eat.

So what did I do?  Yep, the old stand-bys--fast food and coffee on the run.  I was on my second meal for the day, punctuated with coffee stops, before the 100 Days Strong crossed my mind.

Fast Food

Eating fast food is inevitable, especially when your timetable gets squashed and you are scrambling.  Many places have healthier alternatives, but you need to do your homework.

I know I do.  I'll need to research what is really available at the couple of places I like to visit, and write out what to order.  So often I just order reflexively, just out of habit.  Next thing you know, I'm 800 calories down and I know that it is just filling the gap in the day.  If I write it out and leave that card in my car (breakfast options, lunch/dinner options), I'll do a lot better.

The 100 Days Strong is more about habit adjustment than weight loss.  If I can do that, I'll lose the weight.  What is the worst habit you have that will require focus to break?


No comments:

Post a Comment