Friday, May 20, 2011

100 Days Strong--Day 2 DailyBurn


Day 2

I have to have a way to track things.

In  my real life, spreadsheets are how I make a living.  Cells, formulas, tabs, charts and graphical representation keep me focused on all of the details of our business.  I know at a glance how much we spend with each vendor, by manufacturer, by salesperson or client, each month or for the entire year.  Every dime is accounted for and in the right place.

Some time ago I was looking for a way to track my progress while losing weight.  After checking a number of sites, I came across DailyBurn.com.  The free version is more than enough for what I need, although they do have a "Pro Account" that adds even more features.

[No promotional consideration from the vendor, just my own opinion.]


It tracks the amount of sleep you get, your nutrition, weight and exercise.

The more you use it, the more time and effort it saves you.  It has a database you can add to for foods you like to eat that might be out of the mainstream--dissect that favorite pizza from Domino's once, and it is there every time you have it again.  Also, you'll find foods easily, even odd ones,

Scads of basic foods are listed, both commercially packaged versions (Walmart Great Value Mountain Trail Mix) and USDA versions (Green Beans, 1/2 cup).  All of the nutritional information is there, and populates a screen so you know where you stand with your water, total fats, carbs and protein each day.

Get Started

When I started using it, I was pretty unaware of how much I was eating and how it broke out.  I let myself use the tool, without self-editing so I could see what I was actually doing.  Very educational.  Another feature I quickly liked was adding in my exercise.  At the time I was going to the gym, and after each trip I'd add it into the tool.

It made adjustments for me based on my weight loss goals by figuring in the amount of calories burned.  If I needed 2000 calories with a sedentary lifestyle to lose 3 pounds a month, it would increase the calorie goal by the amount I burned exercising.  If I didn't use it, my loss would be greater, and if I did use it I was still on track and giving my body plenty of fuel to do the exercise with.

For me the hardest part was tracking how much water I drink--or didn't as the case was.  One thing I noticed was how much better I felt on the days I forced myself to drink the 8 glasses it was looking for.

More about water another time.

For now, if you are looking for a tool to use, check out DailyBurn.com.  You can find me there under Scoutsigns.

The 100 Days Strong is the motivation I needed to get back to it.  I have to leave on a camping trip with 800 of my closest friends (Scouting) shortly, and will be firing up DailyBurn more consistently when I get back.  Hold me accountable!  If you use the tool and don't see me there, get after me--you have my permission.

How do you track your plans for exercise and diet?  Software, pen and paper?  It's early in the program, and perfectly OK to try something and then try something else.




1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to take a look at that website. Since I started my diet on May 1st, I've been tracking daily calorie intake in a composition book. It's a lot of work, but a fun exercise, as I really see how many hidden calories there are in things, and I've learned how to breakdown a meal into it's calorie content make-up.

    I'm recording my daily calorie intake and daily weight reading in an Excel spreadsheet.

    -Scouter Jeff

    ReplyDelete