Monday, May 30, 2011

100 Days Strong--Day 12 C25K

Day 12

C25K sounds catchy.  Very cool, very "txt".

But seriously, the "Couch-to-5K" program is anything but lazy.  Couch potato to runner in 9 weeks.

Really?

How C25K Works

The concept is motivational.  Take your average lump on the couch and give them the tools to transform themselves into someone who can run 3 miles.  Without stopping.  Or crying.

Each week follows a format that is clearly laid out for you.

Week 1 is all about moving--overcoming that inertia that keeps you on the couch.

Walk briskly for 5 minutes, alternate 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking for 15 minutes, for a total of 20 minutes.

That's it.  Repeat 3 times during the week.

Week 2 just keeps you going.  Increase the jogging to 90 seconds and the walking to 120 seconds (2 minutes).  Jog a little more, walk a little more to offset it.

By Week 9, brisk walk for 5 minutes, followed by 30 minutes of jogging or 3 miles, whichever comes first.

That's it.

Download the app for your iPhone or Android--free.

Then what?

Then, it is up to you.

Personally, I'm going to enter a 5K race with the goal of completing it.  My next goal will be to enter another, and try to do a little better. And another, until I can really say I have a new hobby.  A healthy hobby that is getting me in better shape and increasing the quality (and hopefully length) of my life.

I think my knee will be strong enough by then to let me get back on a bike.  Once I do that, something like this will happen.

I'm going to keep running, too.  There are other programs out there to help you move up to 10K, half-marathons and more.  And we all know what "more" means, right.

The fact that I can even seriously see myself running in a race is a huge change of mindset for me.  I'll finish this year at with my 50th birthday, and I'll be a runner.  What have I done?

No comments:

Post a Comment