Saturday, June 4, 2011

100 Days Strong--Day 17 Farmer's Market


Day 17

My wife isn't feeling well, and I decided to step in and take care of getting everyone fed for breakfast.

Old me:  3-egg omelets with lots of cheese, sausage, bacon, buttered toast or biscuits, jelly, lots of OJ, coffee, fried potatoes, maybe some sour cream or salsa on top.

New me:  2-egg omelets with just enough cheese to get the flavor, turkey bacon (only 2 slices per person), dry multi-grain toast with a little orange marmalade, chopped spring onion fresh from the farmer's market.  Still a lot of coffee.

Guess what?  Everyone was satisfied.  No one felt hungry afterward.  No one missed the fried everything.  Ice water replaced juice.  Tons of flavor.  Filling.

Secondary benefits--only took a fraction of the mess, about half the time and was cheaper--much cheaper.

Tertiary benefit--the farmer's market sold me some great onions and peas picked the night before at a reasonable price ("reasonable" defined as close enough to Walmart's pricing that I don't even think about it).  We're going to cook those for lunch.  But my local economy made money on the deal, helping to ensure that there will be a market for me to shop in.

Today's Lessons

Food experience is more social that calorie based.  Yes, that is news to me, which is why I'm a big guy.
Cheaper, faster, better...all from my conscious decision to do better.
I can help my family and community by helping myself.

OK, some things come hard to me.  But today was a "light-bulb" moment day.  Seventeen days into the 100 Days Strong, what "light-bulb" moments have you had?

No comments:

Post a Comment