Thursday, June 2, 2011

100 Days Strong--Day 15 Why am I fat?

Day 15

Time for a little quiet reflection.

Why am I fat?

In high school, I was an athlete.  I could run the quarter-mile in 52 seconds.  I wrestled at 167-185 pounds for years.  I walked to work often, about 3 miles in the dry heat of Albuquerque.  Just me and a Super Big Gulp.

So what happened?

It might be that I was simply getting enough exercise then to compensate for the way I ate.  But the bad eating habits were already there.  Once I finished school, reality began to set in.  Married life, kids, more sedentary work.

When I turned 30, I began 3-5 hours of commuting each day for 14 years.  Commuting to a desk job.  That transformed into telecommuting as the technology enabled it (and when someone realized that we paid a lot of rent for office space that didn't really help us complete our work).

I ate in the car and at work.  I often had breakfast on the way to the office at 6AM, lunch at the office (even if they were leftovers from home), and would grab something from Taco Bell on the way home at 7PM.  The sleep apnea compounded the problem, and chips seemed to provide the crunch to stay awake while I was driving.

Excuses or Reasons

Now, I can take all of those things as either excuses or reasons.

But it doesn't matter.  I am where I am, and I have a lot of work to do to fix it.  I'm trying to focus on identifying the problems, understanding them, making a plan to fix them, and move on.

Have you stopped to think about why you are where you are?  This is similar to the adage about being doomed to repeat history by not understanding history.

No comments:

Post a Comment